1. Text size:

  2. Contrast:

Alterations, improvements & adaptations

Alterations and improvements


If you wish to carry out an alteration or improvement to your property, you must make a formal written request.

We will consider your request and write back to you letting you know whether or not you can carry out the work. 

We might give you conditional permission which means that you are allowed to do the work if you agree to conditions such as having the work carried out by a qualified person. 

If we give you permission it will be on the understanding that you must take responsibility for any future repairs required because of the alteration. We may also wish to inspect the work you have done once they are completed. 

Listed below are some examples of alterations or improvements which you need to get permission for. This is not exhaustive and other things may also need requirement, if you are unsure whether or not you need permission, please ask us before doing any work. 

  • Installing satellite dishes
  • Replacing kitchen units
  • Fitting a shower
  • Renewing Internal doors
  • Laying laminate flooring 
  • Any structural work - such as boarding up a doorway
  • Erecting sheds or other garden buildings


Aids and adaptations

We are committed to helping our residents live independently. This means we may carry out alterations to meet the needs of individuals that enable them to remain in their homes. For example fitting lever taps which are easier to operate, or installing grab rails. These types of works are often called aids and adaptations.

We work with Local Authorities and other agencies to deliver the aids and adaptations needed.

If you need an adaptation to your property to help you remain living there, or to make things easier for you because of your age, please Contact us and speak to your Housing Officer.

Your Housing Officer will be able to discuss the matter with you and give advice on the action required.

If you need larger alterations, such as a stair lift, you may need an Occupational Therapist to visit and assess you at home. You can contact an Occupational Therapist through your Local Authority.


We would like to place cookies on your computer to make your experience of our website faster and more convenient. To find out more, please refer to our privacy policy . If you do not choose to accept cookies, some parts of this site may not work properly.

Please choose a setting: